Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Graciously Salted Editing

Some of you already know about this, but some may not. I am venturing on a new trek. I am starting an editing business, on top of my writing, mothering and the like. You might think I’m crazy but I don’t think so. Below is the story of how this came to be.

Jamie wants to changes occupations. He wants to go to school for Physical Therapy. But we are a one income family. Either he will have to work and go to school, which his current job is so demanding, that is almost impossible. Or I get a job. His idea was for me to go through CNA classes. My mother was a nurse’s aid before they had to be certified. I know what they have to deal with. Not for me. Jamie’s next idea was for me to go through Phlebotomy classes. (A phlebotomist is someone who draws your blood) I could do this, but I wouldn’t like it all that much. At that same time I was given a children’s story to look over, because I will be using it for teaching in Haiti. I found a few editing mistakes. Two days after that I read Colossians 4. I woke up that night, with verse 6 racing through my half awake mind. “Okay Lord, what are you telling me?” “Let your speech always be Gracious, seasoned with Salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.” That verse kept repeating over and over in my head. I knew I had read it that morning, but as I read it I skimmed over it. Finally the Lord showed me an editing service was what He was telling me. So I struggled with either Graciously Salted or Graciously Seasoned. I chose Salted. Then I was given a novel to read for a friend. As I read I took the liberty to edit the novel. Just for practice. I emailed my dear friend and asked if it was okay if I sent her my edits. She took them and looked over them and said she would make those changes. Cre I guess you were my first client! :0)

I am in the middle of week 2 of this new adventure. I have a FB page called Graciously Salted Editing if you all want to look me up. On the page I explain my rates and stuff like that. I will accept any form of work; novel, short story, term paper, etc. I am giving this business to the Lord. He created it. He owns it.

No comments:

Post a Comment