You Can Eat Healthy When Eating Out. Tips to remember when you’re eating out.
1) Ask for water or order fat-free or low-fat milk, unsweetened tea, or other drinks with no added sugars. Forget the pops and juices. They’re loaded in added sugar.
2) If you are ordering a sandwich, ask for whole wheat bread. It is better for you and white bread has a lot of sugar in it.
3) Start your meal with a salad or broth soup. You will feel fuller sooner.
4) Ask for salad dressing on the side. This way you can control how much you use.
5) Choose main dishes that include veggies. Then eat those veggies first. You will feel fuller and be less likely to over do it on the starchy and protein foods.
6) Order foods that are steamed, grilled, or broiled over those that are fried or sautéed. If you don’t know how things are prepared, ask your server, that is what they are there for.
7) Choose small or medium portions. This includes main dishes, sides and drinks.
8) Order foods that don’t have creamy sauces or gravies. There are lots of calories, fats and sugars in them.
9) Add little or no butter to your food.
10) If the main portions are too large for you: share with a friend or ask for a “doggy bag” right away. This will help you from overeating.
11) On long commutes or shopping trips, pack some healthy snacks, like fresh fruit, cut-up veggies, low-fat string cheese, or a handful of unsalted nuts. This will help you avoid the sweet or fatty snacks on the go.