Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How content am I, really?

Philippians 4:11- Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.

Learning to be content is not an over night learning experience. Even now after being a Christian for over 15 years, God still has to remind me about contentment.

Whether finances, location, whatever the issue we are to be content. I had thought I was content. But looking back I see I really wasn’t. For a long time I wanted to sell our house and move to Uganda, Africa, and start an orphanage. I wasn’t content with living in Michigan, close to family and friends. I wanted with every ounce of passion, to live on the other side of the globe. Notice I said “I”. Jamie (my husband) didn’t. He said that was my dream not his. No matter how much I cried, pleaded or prayed his attitude didn’t change. Finally I took a different approach. I prayed that the Lord would either change Jamie or me. He did. He changed me! Africa is no longer my desire. I don’t long to go. I would still love to go and serve but only short term.

My heart still aches for what is going on in that country, but my heart isn’t wholly in it. I still have a strong passion for orphans, but the Lord will show me where and when and even if. I am content for now. Or am I really? Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment